Tuesday, November 26, 2013

C.O.A.G Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the musical project for those
that have never heard of you before?
. COAG, short for "Coalition of Abnormal Grindcore", is of course a Grindcore side project of mine, in which I am all alone, and I will keep it that way. Stylishly speaking, it's a mixture between oldschool & oldschool grind, including influences like black / death / brutal stuff, as well as hardcore, punk or even chaotic stuff. It was called "War Grind", I like this term.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is present on the ep?
. Mostly the beginning of all projects, a sound trying to be original but still hailing the names of the leaders (Napalm Death, Dead Kennedys, Nasum, Siege, ...). It is a weird sound, brutal & raw but audible, meant to be as straightforward as possible.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
. Paradoxes, anti-society, anti-humanism, order from chaos, never stop the madness.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name C.O.A.G?
. COAG is meant to inspire people to act, not to facebookshare something. If you want people to be vegan, act. If you want to stop animal cruelty, act. As well, COAG stands for this huge stupid amount of ignorant people. It is completely against modern society, in which there's no more than hypocrisy. This is what it's all about.

5. With this musical project you are all solo, how would you compare
being solo to being in a full band?
. Solo, you're doig everything, so firstly you're saving time and money. Secondly, you've got all freedom. If I want to put dubstepchristianblackcore in my music, I'm doing it. Of course I would like to make this live but I don't want to spend time/money to find people, rehearse, etc. I already have enough bands for this. COAG might be live one day, but I would be alone on stage.

6.What is going on with your other  full time band these days?
. Well, Deviant Messiah is on hiatus for now since I switched countries, far away from France. But we will do the first album, it's composed. We just need to record it, and we will all do it. As for Maladie, we finished the recording of the second album, already working on something new. That second album will be soon mixed/mastered by a big name in the german scene. Expect just but a quality release.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your solo project
by fans of extreme music?
. I have two kind of feedback : the first coming from people, "fans" or friends, telling me how awesome it is and how it's giving them strenght and aggressivity. The second feedback comes from reviewers, telling how this release is really good but can be better, which is definitely true. As for now, I am really happy with the opinions of everyone concerning this. It just makes me want to go for more, and more.

8.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
. Chaos, violence, noise. Stylishly speaking, you will, so, find even more violence, more chaotic moments (think mathcore), and some completely noise moments (I don't mean the "noise" music style like Merzbow or Masonna, but more like noise guitars, basses, voices on blast beats). I have for now one release ready for an upcoming split that will harshly introduce the new elements, and I am working on the first album which will be like a blast.

9.What are some of the bands and musical styles that have influenced
this project and also what are you listening to nowadays?
. Influences are like I said, NapalmDeath, Nasum, Rotten Sound, Siege, SOD, Anaal Nathrakh, FuckPig, Unphatomable Ruination, Robinson, Elisabeth, Nostromo, Hatebreed, ...
. These days I am listening mainly to "Eye of Solitude - Canto III", best funeral death/doom album of the year / "Ildjarn & Hate Forest" split / CarBomb / Stevie Wonder / Deathspell Omega / Possession (Belgium)

10.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
. Art in general, but I suck at painting, drawing, etc. I'm having fun with photoshop sometimes for artworks. Also, I am a music producer (recording, mixing, mastering), but know that I am not a professionnal, I don't have +10K€ gear, I am doing what I know and I am mostly into raw but hearable sounds. I did work for Zalys (Dark Ambient), Descent Into Despair (Funeral Doom), LVTHN (Raw Black Metal), and I am actually working on some funeral post doom band, as well as a progressive heavy/thrash band. I will work also for a pop/rock band from Bulgaria, and some others. Music is eating all my time, and I'm quite happy with it.

11.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
. Act
. Stop whining
. CTFAWS

No comments:

Post a Comment