Tuesday, September 15, 2015

War Atrocities Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
War Atrocities is a solo project that came into existence sometime in 2011, handled only by me (Wastelander). It was mostly out of my desire to make music uninfluenced by other members and didn't want to depend on others, but make music when I want how I want.
Since 2014 I am accompanied by a session member Nesveti Alkar(roughly translated into Unholy Horseman) that plays and records bass guitar, his style gives a lot to the overall atmosphere!
We both record DIY in our bedrooms, which also plays a great part in the final sound.
You could describe War Atrocities style as Black/Thrash metal with elements of Speed metal and D-beat!

2.So far you have released a demo and an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings?
"Intoxicated Madness" demo was done in 2013, sound is hugely influenced by thrash and d-beat, it was more of a post-apocalyptic era (music and lyric-wise) of WA so the sound went into that direction. However, those recordings were first so you can hear a lot of different elements there, I can't really tell I knew the path that I wanted to take the project at the time.
"Necromantical Legions" EP sound is basically black/thrash/speed.
Guitars take Celtic Frost direction while bass guitar is heavily distorted, giving that special feel of ugliness and disorder to the sound. Every track stands on its own, while one takes more of a speed metal approach, the other one sounds more thrash metal or punk, so there is a slight variation between songs. All songs have slower parts here and there but are mostly energetic and fast paced.
Although it is hard to put it in the box like that, because every listener will hear it differently, make an individual judgment and form an opinion based on that.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?
I try not to limit myself because that leads to lack of imagination and inspiration.
Most of my lyrics are based around evil, death, war, medieval darkness or barbaric warriors and swordwielders; but many times I take a different approach if I'm bored with satan and death or my inspiration takes me somewhere else like with "Ripper Lust" inspired by (surprisingly) Jack the Ripper.
On the other hand, "Storm of the Tyrants" is a song dedicated to the bands I listen and worship in which lyrics you will find names like Darkthrone, Tormentor, Venom, etc.
It's obvious I take shots on different topics such as history, mistery, occult or anything that inspires me or I just come up with good lyrics.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'War Atrocities'?
Honestly, no meaning! No political or any other bullshit, it just popped in my head.
It is not common but I might even change it to a more distinctive and shorter name.

5.With this project you record mostly everything by yourself except for the bass guitar, are you open to bringing other musicians on the project or do you prefer to remain solo?
I prefer to remain solo because of reasons why this project was spawned into existence in the first place; and simply because it's a way of expressing something I can't express otherwise, under my own terms and with full freedom.
Obviously, I enjoy working with session members and bring in that difference or variable, call it how you like. It is less work on my hands too!
Till now, except my current session bass, I have worked with J.Hammer (drums) on a cover of Tank's "Run Like Hell" and Bozo Krizan doing solo on that same cover
My good local mate Duje Pelaic plays bass on the split release with Whipstriker, who also did the first track on EP(and demo) that stands as intro.
Very talented in making creepy evil atmosphere, check for yourself!

6.On the ep you had done a cover of Bathory's "Armageddon",  what was the decision behind doing your own version of this song?
Bathory has a huge influence on my music! I enjoy covering songs of the bands I listen so I knew I will cover Bathory someday. Last year (2014) was the 10th anniversary of Quorthon's death and 30 years since Bathory released its 1st album, so I thought, why not do it now.
"Armageddon" is one of my favorite songs off of the 1st album, plus the fact that it wasn't covered by many bands I decided to cover that one.
Some of the EP songs were made in 2014 if I haven't mentioned earlier.
Other than "Armageddon", "666" by Toxic Holocaust is on the demo and Tank's "Run Like Hell" (on Bandcamp) is done for 2016 tribute compilation.
Some think covers are merely fillers but I think it makes a release more interesting and shows bands skill to interprete a song.
Afterall, some covers sound better than the original.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and thrash metal?
Since the EP went online, good amount of people and distros asked about the release date and format, trades or just threw a few compliments. I received thumbs up from maniacs of USA, South America, Italy, Germany, UK, Greece, local crew from Croatia and even guys from Switzerland.
I am glad not only black/thrash fans but metalpunks as well showed their approval!
The overall feedback is good, people that are in this kind of music and underground scene appreciate what WA has to offer!

8.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
I am very satisfied with how "Necromantical Legions" came out, but ofcourse I don't know what future might bring, my intention is not to stall and keep this sound for all eternity cause I want to try other things. Some part of my style will always be present but 1/3 will change from release to release, or song to song.
This kind of music lets you throw anything you want inside the mix and what you get is sheer madness, you don't have to stay inside the boundaries, just like the title of a great album says "Satan's Boundaries Unchained"!
It's all heavy metal, you just bring in the evil and doom and that's where I'm headed!

9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Extreme bands from the 80s had a major influence on my music, "1984 class" says it all!
To mention some names it would be mostly Bathory, Celtic Frost/Hellhammer, Sodom, Venom,  UK WarFare, Tank, Motorhead, Sarcofago, Darkthrone(late period)...
I also listen to lots of heavy metal, old guard as well as newer bands that sound more classic.
Huh, nowadays, it's hard to narrow it down to few. So many new bands I hardly ever get to listen to anything older than a year or two. I guess those few would be Midnight, Deathhammer, Bonehunter, Barbarian, Bunker 66, Bastardator, Inculter, Hellripper, Amulet...
Thor - Only the Strong is my top choice for the car as well as Grim Reaper, Manilla Road and High Spirits, etc.

10.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?
Only lyrically, it doesn't have any impact on my music.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Art takes most of my spare time, all War Atrocities art and design are done by myself.
I also do commisioned logos/covers and working with zines so it's always busy.
I read comics(Slaine, Winterworld, 2000AD...) and books(70s/80s sci-fi utopia stuff).
Other than that, education is my prime time-taker.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for this interview and opportunity to spread the word!
I'd like to invite a reader that has the means or need, to get in touch for any kind of musical collaboration (doing a split or releasing my noise), artwork commision or simply saying a few words!
Whole EP is up on Bandcamp so check it out and keep your eyes open for the physical release on Witches Brew Records in the upcoming months!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/War-Atrocities/513707558681644

No comments:

Post a Comment