Thursday, December 10, 2015

Scum Noise Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

SCUM NOISE was born somewhere end 2012...after hearing certain bands/demo's etc I wanted to create some really harsh music...after listening 25 years to black and death metal i wanted to create some myself....Scum Noise is a hybrid of black/crust/ambient/punk/noise....if it sounds scary, haunting and dark then it fits Scum Noise

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

Audio Horror hahaha....I guess as mentioned above Scum Noise has many influences

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

Lyrical topics have a wide range...Most of the time it's about Hatred towards humans, Anti christian, it depends a bit of what the song and sound of the song demands...E.g. the split with Mhnunrrn is about WW II when Germany invaded Belgium. I have also topics about goats and wild boars and aliens or even Lovecraftian themes
The first song i recorded for Scum Noise even had real live wild boar snoring  as samples/chorus. I went to a local place where the breed these huge wild boars and recorded the snoring they make while fighting etc...was a real cool experience hehehehe

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Scum Noise"/

Scum Noise is actually inspired by my love for black metal and harsh music. The name itself is derived from one of my all time favourite LP's....'SCUM' from the mighty Napalm Death (I even have that tattooed on my back in the form of the carcass logo)...i added noise because everyone thats not familiar with the scene lists the music i listen to as 'noise'

5.You have released a lot of music in the last couple of years, do you put a great amount of time and effort into writing and creating music?

Sometimes I do put a lot effort in it, sometimes less... All drums are programmed, and its not that i use pre programmed drums...they need to be done hit by hit...so that can take some time, Then search the rigth samples, or go out and record them ,adjust them process them etc
NO GUITAR IS USED on any Scum Noise release except the first demo doen together with the mighty Zarach 'baal' Tharagh. Wath you hear is 8 string, 4 string and 2 string Bass guitar!!!! As for the riffs, half of it i write in function of the song/drums  or I put drums unto riffs i had. Other half is pure improvisation.... But sometimes like the song 'The russian exorcism' that contains a audio sampel of a real russian exorcism it has 33 layers of sounds, samples and bass, vocals etc
Some songs are done i 5 mintes like Sort Vokterian Worship

6.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, do you feel this gives you more freedom to be creative with your musical style?

It gives me a great amount of freedom, but also sometimes stress when i want to record an idea and lack skill to play it corret or when i have a great riff but can not find  some other things to go with and create a song with it...
I have oftend worked with different vocalists like kay grimmsberg, i often get help from Zarach baal Tharagh, and a Stillnox member and Some song with Necrosadik from mexico
Sometimes it would be cool to record with some other people yes ...But in the end....well i guess i like recording the basic track on my own

7.You have been a part of a few splits over the years, can you tell us a little bit more about the bands or musical projects you have worked in on these releases?

Well I worked togetger with Zarach Baal Tharagh a lot because he is one hell of a cool dude!!! and his musical output and taste i like a lot ;-)
I worked together with mhnunnrn a great band and  a great Artist/painter/creator of art that is behind that band...you should all check him out https://www.facebook.com/jaroslav.divis.140 and we did one song all 3 together ZBT, SN and Mhnunrrn

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your recordings by fans of underground music?

Feedback has been a mixed bag hahaha some like it others really hate it....I put Scum Noise to rest a couple of months ago to focus on another project and now people are starting to show interest in the band and its releases hahaha Some do not like the fact Scum Noise has so many releases in such a short period...but the inspiration just kept coming...some turned other better then others hahaha

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

hmmm thats not so easy....i would like to develop my playing skills a lot ;-) learn new things to play etc....but i giess it will be Always harsh and heavy ;-)
i was briefly in an old school death metal project but i foudn it rather difficult to complete the recording ...it was finished at the end buit i was not that satisfied with it...
so i guess i keep doing things on my own and ask help from time to time from friends 

10.What are some of the bands or musical projects that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Musical inflences for myself are Motorhead, Alice Cooper, ramones, early Imapled nazarene, early absu; Necromantia etc as those are the bands that I really love /liked when I was a young guy....
Influences for the Scum Noise project are  GOATFAGO!! Sadomator/Sadogoat, Profanatica, Havohej.....It was when i heared the gathfago/baphometian split demo that i thougth ogh i want to record something similar sick and ahrs as this is...
Nowdays i still listen to the same stuff as I ever did E.g. I order about 100€ music every month being lately Mutiilation ' sorrow galaxies' and destroy your life for satan re release on LP, but als I bought the Varathron box for 'untroden corridors of hades', and about 6 Agathocles releases, tapes and lp and cd's. I also was able to buy Blood Storms 'breed of pestilence' a band i listen to a lot lately.Graven compilation LP, Zepulkr a great band from france that everyone should check!!
I am looking forward to have my copy of Ares Kingdom 'the uburiable dead!
the song 'burning and scourging' for example was influenced a lot by Profanatica a band i really like a lot

I also have a horror/ambient project Vox Impia https://voximpia.bandcamp.com/
and a project in whom i only use self made instruments ag oens tring abss guitars etc SKULL WORSHIP
https://skullworship.bandcamp.com/

11.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?

Satanism had big influence on me when i was a young person...nowadays not really. Anti religious/christian themes do tend to surface in my lyrics yes. Occultism doe shave a great impact yes. I am nihilistic by nature, but that does not restrain me or hold me back from doing things.
I push the boundaries even though at the end it doe snot really matter all that much.
I have a chaos cross tattooed on my chest...so you could say chaos gnosticism is on my list of interests but if that influences my music .... maybe more then i was aware off...i create some noisy/chaos music that sometimes sounds as if the world is facing it end ;-)


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


thanks for your time and the interest in Scum Noise

check out the bandcamp page

https://scumnoise.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment