Thursday, April 28, 2016

Skeleton Wolf Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


Brett:

Sure, no problem. Skeleton Wolf started with just simply tracking riffs. I originally had been tracking them just for myself. Later as I sorted through them focusing on the ones I thought had potential, I began to really see things in a much bigger picture. After arranging some of the songs you’ll hear on the album, I sent them to Tim and asked for his opinion and asked if he might be interested in laying down vocals on the songs. He really liked what he heard and he began writing his parts immediately. After Tim shared some of the tunes with Jeff, we gained a solid bass player to add to our newfound crew. Our sound is heavy…very heavy. We take black metal and thrash metal and blend the two for a very powerful sound. We work over distance, which is a new challenge to all of us. We have to be well practiced in playing our parts without each other so things go smoothly during recording. In the end, I really feel like it made us better musicians, which benefited the upcoming album greatly.



Tim:

We are a band of a few different metal minded guys. It kicked off when Brett sent me a few songs and said he could hear my vocals going with it. I listened and really dug what he was putting together. I wasn't doing anything musically at the time and with past experiences of playing metal, especially in the Midwest, I really didn't know if I wanted to or not but Brett's such a good musician and I still missed playing deep down inside, so I said "Hell yeah, let's do it!" And then one day we were talking about bass and I said I know an old school metal minded guy, Jeff, who's an actual bass player and the rest is history.



2.In June you have an album coming out, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?



Brett:

Our debut album drops June 10th. The new album is very much blackened thrash that consists of mid to fast-paced songs paired with mid-high black metal style vocals. The songs generally have a lot of double-bass action all-throughout our driving tunes with spots of melodic riffing. At times you may hear clean and eerie guitar work intricately picked for a very atmospheric vibe, only to be followed by a blast of heaviness.



Tim:

Very diverse. We didn't want to play one style with there being so many different genres that we all like. We're trying to not fit in with the metal elitists/purists who only focus on one sound. If that's you then party down with it but I like more than just black metal, death metal, thrash, hardcore, punk, etc etc...and I want the music to portray that and I think the others guys feel that way too. Whatever we feel at a given moment is what our sound is going to be not to be pigeonholed into one genre.





3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?



Tim:

In previous bands it was all evil… satanic. I'm not a religious person myself but I also don't care what people practice. Be open minded and we'll get along. The evil/satanic dynamics in metal is over played. It has its place, sure, but I know I've tried using themes that apply to everyday life. There are dark themes and there will almost always be some evil undertones but for the most part I wrote about things we all go through...things we all struggle with. Insomnia, war, politics/shit leaders, death and so on.





4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Skeleton Wolf'?



Brett:

Trying to find a name that really defines the music is a lot harder than it may seem. In my opinion, the name of the group is just as important as the music. Fans of this genre of music can generally get a feel for what they can expect musically by the band name and the cover art. When the name Skeleton Wolf came up it was almost an instant “fuck yes!” It’s memorable, it has attitude, and it’s just fucking aggressive. Our music is exactly that.



Tim:

Honestly what's a name that hasn't been used!! It just sounds like a cool metal band name to me. It can be read/pronounced, also. I've been in a few too many bands where the name can't be pronounced or actually even read. You know what I mean...the names that look like tree roots. Looks cool but what the fuck does it say and mean?! Haha. In all honesty though the whole wolf pack feeling is cool to me too. It will offer some really neat imagery and we all know us metal heads love our imagery!



5.What part of the United States is the band from?



Tim:

The Midwest or as I like to call it "Satan's Asshole"! You know, it is what it is but we went into this project knowing we don't come from a very metal friendly area of the good ol US. Big metal tours usually pass right over our states and cities. The local scenes kinda just keep going by revolving members swapping bands here and there. Hey, we do what gotta do, metal's just not real lucrative here.



6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?



Tim:

As of right now we have not played any shows. We will cross that bridge when and if we get there. We originally got together as a long distance band in a previously mentioned bad area for shows to just get some music out there. We'll see where it goes. I know playing live isn't off the table and this music would be so badass and energetic live. I can promise that! But we'll patiently wait for the right opportunity and keep pumping out music in the process.



7.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?



Brett:

We do not. We fully intend on focusing on writing new tunes for the next release while we manage shipment of merch to all of our followers.



8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and thrash metal?



Brett:

So far everyone that has gotten to listen seems to be all about it. Which is phenomenal. We receive messages daily from people of all different areas such as the Ukraine, Mexico, and Canada telling us they heard us on one of the internet metal radio stations like MetalNationRadio.com and that they can’t wait to get the full album. It’s also great to get messages from people who have received a copy of the unreleased album (for promo purposes) saying that they have had it cranked since they’ve received it.



9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



Tim:

We're gonna keep writing and promoting and trying to do it all on our own. We'll see where that goes. And I know having fun is cliche in metal, but I think with this group of guys that's where we're at. We wanna make good metal and have fun doing it. In the past it's been difficult to enjoy the whole process...with Skeleton Wolf it's been so nice how enjoyable and easy it's been. If that's not metal than so be it...but I believe Bow Down to Death will change your mind!



Brett:

I fully intend to continue to write music in the same style that we’ve come to find ourselves in. I think we show a great variety in sound on the new album without writing a collection of songs that shouldn’t be featured together. The songs may be different and stand on their own, but the style, aggression, and attitude is still the same throughout. Going forward, I would expect a similar approach in sound with maybe a different take on song structure as the music progresses. Only time will tell.





10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Tim:

For me there are few bands who influenced me wanting to do vocals: Killwhitneydead, Heaven Shall Burn, Emperor, Integrity, The Misfits, to name the biggest influences.

In metal I'm not really limited to any styles...I legitimately love metal. Metal also isn't the only genre I listen to. You can find everything from Anal Cunt to Iced Earth to Hypocrisy to Ice Cube to Tech N9ne to Jack White to Hank III to Mozart to SRV to Billie Holliday in my record collection. I honestly love music man. Nowadays...the new Cattle Decapitation is amazing as usual and digging Ihsahn's new one as well.



Brett:

As a musician, it really benefits you to have influences from different walks of musical styles. Immortal has had a great impact on my music writing and approach. I would also say Dissection, Watain, and  Kvelertak have been quite an influence, as well.



Personally, I’m the type to listen to full album front to back a few times a week for several weeks. The latest albums I’ve been rocking to are Watain’s The Wild Hunt, Heaven & Hell’s The Devil You Know, and Surgical Steel by Carcass.





11.What are some of your non musical interests?



Brett:

Other than playing music, I can usually be found in the garage messing with my motorcycle or pounding beers while stripping down a guitar to revamp and add to the collection. You can never have to many axes, right?



Tim:

I'm really into drinking all different craft beers out there. What a time to love beer! I also like doing outside things...while drinking craft beers....ok I like drinking beer!! Slainte!



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Tim:

Give us a listen and know you're getting real good metal from fans of the craft!! We are genuine non elitist metal heads bringing you head banging jams for as long as you'll have us!! Cheers!



Brett:

Hit us up on Facebook for the most up-to-date info on Skeleton Wolf. June 10th the album will be available for purchase through our website at www.SkeletonWolf.com. Each album purchase will come with a digital download card, as well. Instant downloads will be available on release day, watch our FB page for updates on where you can get those as we near the release date.



I also want to thank everyone who has been following us so far. You all have been a great encouragement along the ride of this self-released album. Thanks to Blackened Death Metalzine for the great review and interview. A raised beer goes to all the metalheads out there cranking the tunes and raising your horns. Cheers!


Check out all things Skeleton Wolf here: www.skeletonwolf.com